How Our Fire District Currently Operates:
- There are 2 fire stations in Fernley, but only the station on Main St is staffed 24-7. The fire station on Red Rock Rd and Farm District Rd has 2 volunteer firefighters that respond from it.
- We have only 4 firefighters on everyday 24/7 stationed at Station 61 on Main St. 2 Firefighter/EMTs and 2 Firefighter/Paramedics.
- The 4 firefighters on each day cross-staff fire engines and ambulances. If a medical call occurs, 2 firefighters take an ambulance to the call. If a fire call occurs, a fire engine will be used for the call.
- One ambulance transport will take 2 of the 4 firefighters a minimum of 2 hours to return to Fernley.
- Two simultaneous or overlapping ambulance transports will take all 4 of our firefighters out of service for a minimum of 2 hours each, leaving our city "uncovered".
- It is not uncommon for 3 simultaneous 911 calls to occur.
- When no firefighters are in District we are "uncovered", so we request mutual aid from surrounding agencies for "coverage". These agencies are Banner Churchill, Central Lyon County Fire Protection District, Storey County Fire, and REMSA.
- The surrounding agencies we rely on are nearly 30 miles away from Fernley.
- The surrounding agencies are NOT ALWAYS AVAILABLE when we request them, which means no "coverage" in Fernley.
- When these agencies "cover" for Fernley, they only come to the County/District lines.
- When there is no District "coverage", volunteers are paged to staff the fire station.
- We have 11 volunteer firefighters on the roster that respond when available, but are NOT ALWAYS AVAILABLE.
- We do not have Battalion Chiefs, Captains, Operators, Training Officers, or Fire Prevention Officers (middle and upper management).
- Our current District Fire Chief performs all middle and upper management rolls administratively and operationally.
- These rolls and positions are necessary to ensure safety, accountability and liability for the administration and operations of the Fire District.
- We do not have a Hazmat Team, Technical Rescue Team, or Water Rescue Team. We have agreements with surrounding agencies to provide these services when requested. Again, these services are over 30 miles away.